254 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
PabloFierro says

Hello, recently I’ve been involved in ruby on rails projects, we use a variety of tools to work on our projects including cofeescript, sass, and haml.

I want to know your opinion on developing wordpress themes with this tools, specially haml, since it reduces the amount of php-html code you write, here’s an example:

https://gist.github.com/1426109
!!! 5
%html
  %head
    %meta{ 'charset' => "utf-8"}
    %title HAML VIEW

#content
  .blog
    /blog content here
  .sidebar
    /sidebar content here

The advantage of using haml is not having to close html tags anymore, faster markup creation, easy to learn.

I would like to get a response from support if possbile.

Oh, for those who think HAML is only for ruby, there’s a php version available on github, here it is: https://github.com/sniemela/HamlPHP

2050 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Landonw says

I know there was a blog post about this some while back – possibly on tuts+. The point was, why would you use something so ridiculous that would make you enter code like:

{meta charset="utf-8"}

when you could just use plain HTML ? And that’s exactly what HAML looks like unless you just posted a really bad example. It appears to offer nothing besides being a tool for the extremely lazy.

254 posts
  • Exclusive Author
PabloFierro says
LandonWilson said
I know there was a blog post about this some while back – possibly on tuts+. The point was, why would you use something so ridiculous that would make you enter code like:
{meta charset="utf-8"}
when you could just use plain HTML ? And that’s exactly what HAML looks like unless you just posted a really bad example. It appears to offer nothing besides being a tool for the extremely lazy.

I just to think exact same way as you, once I started working with HAML I started producing markup much faster than using regular HTML , it’s not for lazy ones as you said.

Oh, it’s not a bad haml example.

2050 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Landonw says

That’s strange. I find using keys like % and # more inconvenient because I’ve been doing HTML since I could use a computer so when I’m coding my right hand is set up on the </>;? keys and my left covers all of the letters – so I can write HTML and PHP very quickly.

Maybe HAML isn’t for everyone? And does it compile to regular HTML or is it another ugly templating system?

254 posts
  • Exclusive Author
PabloFierro says
@landon, get your facts first http://haml-lang.com/, there’s no way you will type:
 <div class="section" id="blog">
 </div>
faster than:
 #blog.section

The main point of HAML is not that, it is to simplify the required markup code required for views.

2050 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Landonw says

It literally saved me a second – not enough time to be worth it in my opinion. It’s also not very pretty. I like that in notepad++ I can expand and collapse blocks of code, but with this, I cannot because there is no end. How does it know when to close? Does it base it off of spaces? I have my editor setup to automatically tab and such for me, so that would just waste extra time.

You can try to convince me as to why HAML is better – I’ll be open minded about it (as much as I can) but I just don’t see what makes it so great.

Also – as long as it compiles back to valid human readable HTML , feel free to use it in WP templates – it’s sort of like figuring out whether you should make templates in dreamweaver or notepad++ – it doesn’t matter if it comes out with the same result.

254 posts
  • Exclusive Author
PabloFierro says
LandonWilson said
It literally saved me a second – not enough time to be worth it in my opinion. It’s also not very pretty. I like that in notepad++ I can expand and collapse blocks of code, but with this, I cannot because there is no end. How does it know when to close? Does it base it off of spaces? I have my editor setup to automatically tab and such for me, so that would just waste extra time.

You can try to convince me as to why HAML is better – I’ll be open minded about it (as much as I can) but I just don’t see what makes it so great.

Also – as long as it compiles back to valid human readable HTML , feel free to use it in WP templates – it’s sort of like figuring out whether you should make templates in dreamweaver or notepad++ – it doesn’t matter if it comes out with the same result.

Ok mate, leave it there then.

701 posts
  • Bought between 1000 and 4999 items
  • Canada
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
chrismccoy says
proxdeveloper said
Hello, recently I’ve been involved in ruby on rails projects, we use a variety of tools to work on our projects including cofeescript, sass, and haml.

I want to know your opinion on developing wordpress themes with this tools, specially haml, since it reduces the amount of php-html code you write, here’s an example:

https://gist.github.com/1426109
!!! 5
%html
  %head
    %meta{ 'charset' => "utf-8"}
    %title HAML VIEW

#content
  .blog
    /blog content here
  .sidebar
    /sidebar content here

The advantage of using haml is not having to close html tags anymore, faster markup creation, easy to learn.

I would like to get a response from support if possbile.

Oh, for those who think HAML is only for ruby, there’s a php version available on github, here it is: https://github.com/sniemela/HamlPHP

i know a theme framework that uses YAML .

wpengineer.com’s framework

304 posts
  • Austria
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
squaredWeb says

Im sure giving support for theme using haml on tf would be a cheerful experience.

254 posts
  • Exclusive Author
PabloFierro says
squaredWeb said
Im sure giving support for theme using haml on tf would be a cheerful experience.

I’m afraid of customers opening the theme files and start complaining about the code, that might make them rate the item with 1 start!, so a customer opinion would be nice as well.

by
by
by
by
by
by