753 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+4 more
AdamGold says

Hi guys, I was wondering if I should make a WP version to my unselling theme? :D

The theme has only 1 purchase, so I really don’t want to waste my time on creating a WP version when no body will buy it. What do you think? Would you make a WP version of an item that sold 1 time?

I would like to hear your thoughts :) Adam.

2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
jonathan01 says

Honestly Adam I do not believe that HTML sales are a good judge of Wordpress sales of the same design – I believe that if you have very strong HTML sales then it’s a very good indicator of how well a WP version will do, but sometimes if a HTML design showcases blog pages and sidebar and footer widgets buyers will simply wait for the WP version – hence not always the best way to judge how things will go – I believe it’s ALWAYS worth creating a WP version if possible.

Hope that helps!

753 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
AdamGold says
Honestly Adam I do not believe that HTML sales are a good judge of Wordpress sales of the same design – I believe that if you have very strong HTML sales then it’s a very good indicator of how well a WP version will do, but sometimes if a HTML design showcases blog pages and sidebar and footer widgets buyers will simply wait for the WP version – hence not always the best way to judge how things will go – I believe it’s ALWAYS worth creating a WP version if possible. Hope that helps!

Thanks Jonathan! I think I will go on your suggestion and create a WP version. BTW What do you think about the theme?

741 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Orbital_Themes says

Nah, don’t waste your time. You may score few sales if you are lucky but still it’s not worth the amount of work you put into creating fully functional WordPress theme. :)

+8 more
jonathan01 says
Honestly Adam I do not believe that HTML sales are a good judge of Wordpress sales of the same design – I believe that if you have very strong HTML sales then it’s a very good indicator of how well a WP version will do, but sometimes if a HTML design showcases blog pages and sidebar and footer widgets buyers will simply wait for the WP version – hence not always the best way to judge how things will go – I believe it’s ALWAYS worth creating a WP version if possible. Hope that helps!
Thanks Jonathan! I think I will go on your suggestion and create a WP version. BTW What do you think about the theme?

Well it’s certainly not the most original layout – but then again many aren’t and that isn’t a dig at your design at all – I would just ensure you use the power of wordpress to help enhance the theme – allow different background uploads, columns and shortcodes etc – I mean the design is really a wordpress design, as I stated above.

In the end you have to justify your time required to convert – if you are experienced then it should not take an eternity – and you should never look at a theme as an instant way of recouping your time investment – it has a life span – that may be 12 months – x10 sales per month = 120 sales @ av of $18 in your pocket per sale = $2,160 – and that my friend is money in your pocket – but you do the math :)

2952 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+10 more
DDStudios says

I’d say .. don’t convert it.

Do another design. A better one. Always try to improve your design skills until you can come up with an html theme that will sell at least 50 times before doing a WP theme with it. My 2 cent.

I know that html sales are not a guarrantee of WP sales but let’s face it .. if you sold your theme 1 time .. there must be something that buyer’S dont like about it.

Look at this theme (sorry for the link but the theme is really good :) )

http://themeforest.net/item/fadelicious-html-blog-portfolio-template/128793

It’s html and it have 11 sales in 1 day even if there is blog, sidebar, widgetize footer etc etc ..

If you can do something that sell 11 time in html in 1 day .. code it in WP .. until then, practice your design skills :)

Just see BIGGER .. don’t try to just make a few bucks with a theme that you know won’t sell.. you know?

Anyway, hope it help.

2952 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+10 more
DDStudios says

Seriously .. I think people should submit more theme to PSD category .. If they want to practice their design skills.

That way .. you don’t waste time coding the theme .. so you can concentrate on the design aspect and get feedback from 1. designer here at TF and 2. the buyers who will buy your theme …

Again, look at this one : http://themeforest.net/item/fashion-style-porfolio-template/129577

9 sales, in PSD , in 2 days .. When you can do that, you are in buisness … You know the theme have potential .. you know you can invest time in it ..

I see our portfolio like an hockey theme.. PSD are rookie .. HTML are average player and WP are superstar ..

If your normal player (HTML) score 1 goal in 3 month .. you know it won’t be a superstar anytime soon .. if your rookie (PSD) score 9 goals in 2 days .. dude .. invest time in this one and make it become a superstar .. does it make sense?

So your question is like if a coach would say .. hey, you know that guy who scored 1 goal in 2 month .. should we invest a lot of time on him? or should we concentrate and recruit someone else .. and increasing our recruiting skills etc etc ..

That’S how I see it .. and yes .. I love hockey :)

Go habs Go!

+8 more
jonathan01 says

Sorry to disagree with you Dany but your idea of PSD – HTML and WP has different levels of authors is totally without merit.

PSD is the HARDEST category to get into (at least that is what we are told) – look at the influx of terribly designed WP themes on ThemeForest – over 50% look like free ones on the net – but SOME still sell in huge numbers.

For example one of DD’s HTML themes didn’t break 50 sales yet, after a considerable amount of time – but the WP version has some nice sales – which contradicts what he said.

I truly believe that everyone has to find their own business model when it comes to TF as an author. You MAY get wordpress only buyers who love your themes – but do not buy HTML as they do not want to convert – or do not know how – so they wait.

I have many buyers who ONLY buy my HTML Email templates – I create these as sister products to my HTML and Wordpress – but most have simply outsold the father product (HTML and Wordpress) by huge amounts – see what I mean – they are all different buyers – some buy only one type of product – others buy multiple.

Like I said – it’s up to you to work out the figures on what is worth you spending time on.

Dany was correct in saying spend time to build in features – when all said and done that is what Wordpress is for – and we must not forget that a large proportion of themes are bought by other developers, not for the design, but to find out how you did something cool, or implemented a certain thing etc

by
by
by
by
by
by