• Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Ukraine
PerryCox says

Hi all. Help me to understand, please. If I use Flickr(or any other) as a source of images and I got written permission from author by email. How I will indicate this in ZIP file? Provide a copy of the permission in Help file(notepad)? Isn’t this a problem? Because I, not author, can wrote any text and give it as permission.

What form must have a permission?

29 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Malaysia
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
perekaniaga says

I think depends on your purpose usage of the images.

If you you’re using it as an image in your preview video, I guess just telling the reviewer when you’re about to upload; saying you have permission to use the images from the original author should be fine. You can always give link back to the original image site.

If your are planning to use the image, an re-sell or distribute it, then you have to be very careful with the copyright issues. Because normally authors won’t let you use it and generates money out of it.

As in for flickr, there are different types of license under the creative common license. Some of them let you used their pictures only if you give credits to them. Some let you used and distributes for non-commercial purpose. You can check more details on that at flickr under creative commons.

But i think, just to be safe, if you have the images, and wanted the buyer or users to-re-use it, just link them back to the original site in your help file (meaning you don’t include the images in your download/zip file) so the buyers can re-download it there.

If you still insist on re-distributing/selling back the images, i think you have to get a lawyer that really knows about IP. Because i think Envato wouldn’t look into details and helping you to get the licenses.

26 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Ukraine
PerryCox says

Thx perekaniaga for detailed answer.

148 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
davidossahdez says

I have a question. I’m making a template, it works pretty well with portraits photos and I really want to use some awesome images that I found on Flickr.

My question is: I really need the model release if the potho itself is under Creative Commons License for commercial use, adaptation, modification or building upon? :depressed:

Can I include them in the ZIP files or just in the preview video?

6769 posts
  • Italy
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+1 more
doru says

flickr photos use may be misleading. even if the author of the photo released the work under a creative common license the model in the photo may never allowed the use of his/her image under the same creative license.

what you should do, is use photos sold on stock marketplaces like for example photodune.net

on photodune you can use the photos without buying them, just add a link to the author and the photo in your item description.

148 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
davidossahdez says

flickr photos use may be misleading. even if the author of the photo released the work under a creative common license the model in the photo may never allowed the use of his/her image under the same creative license.

what you should do, is use photos sold on stock marketplaces like for example photodune.net

on photodune you can use the photos without buying them, just add a link to the author and the photo in your item description.

Thank’s for the reply. Should I use a watermarked version then?

By the way, I think that the legal issue is with the photographer itself. Because if the model doesn’t let him release the photo with that kind of license, it’s the photographer fault, not mine.
So, Am I responsable for any infringements that any artist made with their projects before I put my hands on it?

6769 posts
  • Italy
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+1 more
doru says

Thank’s for the reply. Should I use a watermarked version then?

You can use watermarked photos in your previews. You need to add a link to the photo page.

You can buy the standard license and use the photo without watermark it in your previews. In this case adding the link to the photo page is not obligatory.

By the way, I think that the legal issue is with the photographer itself. Because if the model doesn’t let him release the photo with that kind of license, it’s the photographer fault, not mine.
So, Am I responsable for any infringements that any artist made with their projects before I put my hands on it?

I don’t know :) probably you are right.

695 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
3dbacks says

+1

Hi all. Help me to understand, please. If I use Flickr(or any other) as a source of images and I got written permission from author by email. How I will indicate this in ZIP file? Provide a copy of the permission in Help file(notepad)? Isn’t this a problem? Because I, not author, can wrote any text and give it as permission. What form must have a permission?

Often times it’s impossible to prove the fact that license is genuine and we don’t ask for it. Reviewers take your word for it.

It’s digital age and it’s pretty easy to make the fake license, but ultimately you’re fooling yourself. You don’t shift your responsibility to reviewer once you fooled him with a fake license. When author gets fed up – he will come after you and full liability is on you. If you decide to fool someone – ultimately it’s yourself who is fooled.

Authors need to understand that reviewers and not some evil people who try to steal your joy of using unlicensed assets. They try to help you stay out of trouble when possible.
552 posts
  • Exclusive Author
azamshah72v says

+1

Hi all. Help me to understand, please. If I use Flickr(or any other) as a source of images and I got written permission from author by email. How I will indicate this in ZIP file? Provide a copy of the permission in Help file(notepad)? Isn’t this a problem? Because I, not author, can wrote any text and give it as permission. What form must have a permission?

Often times it’s impossible to prove the fact that license is genuine and we don’t ask for it. Reviewers take your word for it.

It’s digital age and it’s pretty easy to make the fake license, but ultimately you’re fooling yourself. You don’t shift your responsibility to reviewer once you fooled him with a fake license. When author gets fed up – he will come after you and full liability is on you. If you decide to fool someone – ultimately it’s yourself who is fooled.

Authors need to understand that reviewers and not some evil people who try to steal your joy of using unlicensed assets. They try to help you stay out of trouble when possible.

+1,111,111,111.11

by
by
by
by
by
by