You are experienced developer! How much time do you need to create a WordPress theme to sell here?

21 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
AlexanderBeloev says

Hi Everyone,

I am in development process of my second WordPress theme and I was wondering how much time does take to pros to create a template and sell it here.

Thank you all in advance!

Regards,

Alex :)

99 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
+5 more
2winFactor says

I was just thinking about this too. Some people seem to whip one out in less than a month. That just seems crazy fast to me. I can’t come up with something original and develop it in that short period of time. It typically takes me at least six months. It’s the design that takes me the longest though. I typically hate most of the stuff I design the first time around. What about you?

21 posts
AlexanderBeloev says

I was just thinking about this too. Some people seem to whip one out in less than a month. That just seems crazy fast to me. I can’t come up with something original and develop it in that short period of time. It typically takes me at least six months. It’s the design that takes me the longest though. I typically hate most of the stuff I design the first time around. What about you?

My first theme came live after around 6 months of development as well. My current is expected to be not faster finished, but much better codded. And that’s why I asked this question. I was wondering how much time takes others to complete their themes.

1023 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+6 more
greenline says

Some people seem to whip one out in less than a month.

Those people work in teams, not alone.
You may find under a single username a real small company with many people involved (designer, developer, tester, support staff, etc) That is why they are are able to publish a theme every month.

41 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
fitwp says

Before building a theme, I built for my own a framework (theme options, meta box, shortcode generator) and that reduced time while working on theme. For my first theme, after design is done, it took me 1 month to convert design to WordPress theme. That’s a simple & clean corporation theme.

But the 2nd theme I built for almost 5 months due to a lot of options and javascript for onepage.

In my opinion, time developing a theme proportional to its features. Simple blog or business theme can take 1 month, but a theme that integrates WooCommerce, unlimited colors, page builder, etc. or has a lot of Javascript effects can take up to 6 months.

Just another note: time for setting up the demo and writing documentation is quite long, too (if you’re truly serious about this).

21 posts
AlexanderBeloev says

Just another note: time for setting up the demo and writing documentation is quite long, too (if you’re truly serious about this).

I found this the hard way. I was thinking that I will finish the demo and the documentation for a week, but it took me a month. So, yes, this is something important to think of!

16 posts
  • Located in Spain
gerardbm says

+1, 100%

47 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Pakistan
Nauman_19 says

I am working with a psd designer. We started project almost 2 months ago and he thinks I am wasting time. :(

33 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Located in Europe
+3 more
lollum says

About 3/4 months.

16 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
VicTheme says

Before building a theme, I built for my own a framework (theme options, meta box, shortcode generator) and that reduced time while working on theme. For my first theme, after design is done, it took me 1 month to convert design to WordPress theme. That’s a simple & clean corporation theme.

But the 2nd theme I built for almost 5 months due to a lot of options and javascript for onepage.

In my opinion, time developing a theme proportional to its features. Simple blog or business theme can take 1 month, but a theme that integrates WooCommerce, unlimited colors, page builder, etc. or has a lot of Javascript effects can take up to 6 months.

exactly, +1 here :)

by
by
by
by
by
by