523 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+10 more
Zeplix says

I understand that you want to make it easy to rate an item, but there is nothing more frustrating for an Author to upload something that we think is a solid and good product, and then suddenly see a low rating, with 0 comments.

For instance, not too long ago, I uploaded a new tutorial… I actually thought it was one of my most in-depth, well described, and usefull tuts so far! Definitely one of the longest to do for me! And yet now, it’s the lowest rated of my items.

It leaves me wondering why people didn’t like it, what I can do to improve it, and so on… but with no comments, I have nothing to go on whatsoever.

So yeah… it really would be nice if buyers were required to leave a comment to rate an item. If you want to do it anomymously, that’s fine too, I don’t personally care who bought it and why, I would just like to know >why< they think it’s good or bad!

Thoughts?

5360 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

I’ve probably said this a few times before but I’ll keep saying it because, well, it just makes so much darn sense (at least to me) :P

Buyers should have the option of leaving anonymous feedback when they give a rating. When a buyer gives a rating, a little box could popup that says “would you like to provide anonymous feedback to this author to help them improve their product?”

Lots of buyers here are part of the community and don’t want to be negative on the file comments. And as authors we definitely appreciate this, but we are missing out on an opportunity to improve our files (and make the marketplaces even better) by not offering optional-anonymous feedback during the ratings process. And the feedback doesn’t have to be only for low star ratings either. Because positive feedback is also great :)

1844 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
ShermanJackson says

I’ve probably said this a few times before but I’ll keep saying it because, well, it just makes so much darn sense (at least to me) :P

Buyers should have the option of leaving anonymous feedback when they give a rating. When a buyer gives a rating, a little box could popup that says “would you like to provide anonymous feedback to this author to help them improve their product?”

Lots of buyers here are part of the community and don’t want to be negative on the file comments. And as authors we definitely appreciate this, but we are missing out on an opportunity to improve our files (and make the marketplaces even better) by not offering optional-anonymous feedback during the ratings process. And the feedback doesn’t have to be only for low star ratings either. Because positive feedback is also great :)

I agree 100%. However, the review/rating/feedback can only be given once the buyer actually downloads and uses the product to be able to actually tell if it’s good enough for them or actually serves their purpose. Rating is usually given when the buyer downloads the file. Having the “star rating” in the download page is a convenient way for the buyer to spend his/her time while the file is downloading. I Doubt that the buyer actually goes back to the page and rates the item after downloading the item and using it. Star Rating maybe given by what the buyer sees in the preview image. A negative rating maybe given when the buyer uses the item and finds that the item does not serves his purpose etc etc, and thats when the ratings drop. NO BUYER would give a negative rating when their item is downloading. It’s at that time they believe that what they are downloading is ideal and their solution. Hence the five star rating or NO rating, where they just want to download and use the item.

What I mean to say is that there should be another way to be able to allow buyers to comment and rate which I don’t know. :)

Hope this helps

Sherman

2030 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Provided great feedback to improve the user experience on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+9 more
revaxarts says

If buyers receive some bonus (eg $1) buyer will definitely rate. Maybe a additional comment is mandatory to get this bonus

1844 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
ShermanJackson says

If buyers receive some bonus (eg $1) buyer will definitely rate. Maybe a additional comment is mandatory to get this bonus

True! It’s a good way to bring the buyers back more frequently. But think about how much envato will have to give away

675 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+6 more
dexterous says

May be an announcement-like widget in the right side can be shown for those who have purchased files but haven’t rated them yet. Like sometimes in hurry I buy the file and use it for client (who always in a great hurry), by the time I finish the project I sometimes forget that I have to go to my downloads page and rate it.. so if some kind of reminder is on the screen (sidebar or or on top), then it will help to remind returning buyers that there are files waiting to be rated.

2030 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Provided great feedback to improve the user experience on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+9 more
revaxarts says

True! It’s a good way to bring the buyers back more frequently. But think about how much envato will have to give away

It don’t has to be real money, just credits so they forced to buy more…

6025 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Now we have one more thread to exaggerate the role of ratings and comments. I feel safer as long as everything is public / minimal which exists as of now.

397 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+2 more
Monkify says

Now we have one more thread to exaggerate the role of ratings and comments. I feel safer as long as everything is public / minimal which exists as of now.

Clearly you don’t care to improve if you feel it’s even possible to exaggerate the role of ratings and comments. There’s always room for improvement and if you’re not always improving your work, you’ll be left behind at some point.

6025 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Clearly you don’t care to improve if you feel it’s even possible to exaggerate the role of ratings and comments. There’s always room for improvement and if you’re not always improving your work, you’ll be left behind at some point.

Note sure if you are pointing about file improvement or rating system improvement.

If it is about file improvement, the buyer comment (attached with rating) will help only to privately point the deficiency or possible new feature. The same already happens through public comment area which is more safe and useful. I can point few examples of abuses with private (and anonymous) comment but better avoid sharing it ;)

by
by
by
by
by
by