81 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
themethoft says

Hello everyone!

Sitting in the last half of 2013, I am wondering whether the horrible monster called IE6 is finally slain or not? Has anyone come across any customer this year asking for IE6 and IE7 compatibility?

Would like to hear from all of you.

Thanks and Best Regards…

629 posts
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
+9 more
Kriesi says

nope, not in the last few months…

626 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
ChapterThemes says

IE 7 and 8 are about to be death. Unless there’s a good reason for a client to make something work with IE 6 or 7 ( because maybe their entire office still uses those ), you definitely shouldn’t mind those versions.

Specially here on TF you shouldn’t mind, IE8 is as far back as i go – and that’s mostly a version without things like CSS animations and border radius things, because that doesn’t work in IE8

15 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+2 more
ShapingRain says

We have not had a single request for IE6/7 compatibility since we started on themeforest.

We generally support IE8+—if it works with IE6 or IE7 that’s great, but we won’t make an effort to make it compatible.

368 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
QBKL says

According to SitePoint’s monthly “Browser Trends”, IE8 still keeps at a steady ~8%. That’s almost as much as the 9% of IE9, and not far behind the 10% market share of IE10. (IE10 is currently growing at the expense of IE9! not IE8 or 7, or 6.).

Not supporting IE8 in your products would virtually mean ignoring around 8% of potential visits to sites utilizing your templates. In my eyes, that’s not a good policy. And no one says that your template should animate, rotate and have rounded input fields. It should not break and still have a decent visual appeal and be overall functional. And that’s not hard to achieve. Particularly if your coding skills come from an age where dinosaurs like IE 5 and 5.5 roamed the Earth freely.

IE8 is not going to die out that soon as it is the main browser on Win XP, and Win XP is still installed on a huge number of corporate computers and quite some home devices too, particularly EeePC’s and stuff like that, which a certain category of people find it hard to give up on. Admitably, XP with all SPs to date became a pretty stable system.

IE6 and 7 are well below 1% and you could easily disregard them. But as I said, I wouldn’t hurry to skip IE8, particularly if your products focus more on the corporate aspect or might end up in the hands of corporate users.

Regards, Alex

954 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+3 more
aleluja says

^ And governments. They still use XP.

65 posts I'm Ahmad, since 1989
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
+2 more
im_ahmad says

On themeforest no one of my clients asked for this, and I am not caring about them when developing my themes, but it’s important to make themes compatible with IE6 and IE7 because I were in China in 2012 and I found that 90% of Chinese people don’t know anything about Chrome or Firefox and even don’t know anything about IE7, they still use IE6 :)

205 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
biyanpasau says

All problems caused by those browsers can be solved with just some lines of codes, actually.

484 posts (-_-(-_-(-_-)-_-)-_-)
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+5 more
Themewaves says

I think China using IE so much. I don’t know why and that’s not a problem if your customer asked about IE6 IE7 then display the Information BOX and that’s comes with Modern Browser download link url and Explain messages.

Internet Explorer is so weird.

81 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
themethoft says

Internet Explorer is so weird.
Never doubted it. What was Bill thinking? :)
by
by
by
by
by
by