3 posts
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
OfficiaDigital says

I want to make a site in joomla with an online store. This is an author who wants to sell his book. The site should have information about the book with pictures and videos and should have an option to order the book and pay for it by paypal or credit card.

I’m looking for a good template that supports the online shop option. What template would you recommend me?

I would like a template with a clean design and does not need many plugins.

Thank you

37 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • United States
DVLPmedia says

I would recommend Wordpess and WooCommerce. Both are free to use and are extremely customizeable.

422 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Philippines
phpbits says

Magento ;)

5391 posts
  • Australia
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Australia says

< amazed at Magentos popularity, it sure is bloated. But mambo/joomla is crap lol

95 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
erwin_schro says

First you would need one of these extensions (if his books are downloadable)

http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/e-commerce/paid-downloads

but for an online shops solution, I can’t recommend anything…none are simple to use.

and regarding the template, if you can’t find one available here then you can find a HTML template and hire a developer to convert it to Joomla template

5391 posts
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
Australia says

You would be better buying a stonking html template from TF and custom coding the pay pal ipn buy now button, it can even link thru to hidden download buttons with expiry. No bloat and totally custom.

37 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • United States
DVLPmedia says

Depending on your host, you can install Wordpress with a single click through your cPanel. If you have a dedi/vps, you can still install it manually through FTP in less than 5 minutes.

The great thing about Wordpress is that you can publish custom pages, post, and media with just a couple clicks, all from a control panel. There are thousands upon thousands of plugins available for all applications.

Next, I would install WooCommerce. It is free to use. You will be able to accept paypal by default, by simply entering your email and updating some settings on your PayPal account. The great thing about WooCommerce is that it offers functionality for “Downloadable Products” by default. So you don’t need any other plugins. If you did want more features, there are plenty of more options.

323 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
familychoice says

I would recommend Wordpess and WooCommerce. Both are free to use and are extremely customizeable.

You would be better buying a stonking html template from TF and custom coding the pay pal ipn buy now button, it can even link thru to hidden download buttons with expiry. No bloat and totally custom.

+1 for both of the above. If the author is planning more books, or already has a back catalogue they can sell then the WooCommerce shopping cart option would work better.

For a single product a custom PayPal button would work fine, personally I’d go for a Wordpress set-up but for simplicity a simple HTML template might work just as well.

I wouldn’t touch Magento with a very long stick. Bloatworld.

95 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
erwin_schro says

... But mambo/joomla is crap lol

Joomla is crap? That could be your humble opinion…I’m curious have you ever tried making any template/extension for the latest Joomla version? if you have, how is it compared with developing wp plugin?

5391 posts
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
Australia says

... But mambo/joomla is crap lol
Joomla is crap? That could be your humble opinion…I’m curious have you ever tried making any template/extension for the latest Joomla version? if you have, how is it compared with developing wp plugin?

probably the same, I hate Turdpress too lol

by
by
by
by
by
by