973 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
aaranmcguire says

Hey,

I’m looking into getting some certification for PHP 5 .3 and I was wondering if anyone on codecanyon has it, and if so are there any resources that you can recommended? as its a bit expensive to get them from zend and the books on amazon are old or have bad rating.

Also kinda off the topic of Zend but has anyone got any other certification that they recommend ? (for anything not just for PHP ) like CompTIA.

333 posts No! It's not a 5 minute job!
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+14 more
WebFactory says

Not really up-to-date info ‘cause I got my certification back in 2007 but I’d just recommend that you don’t take it if you don’t have at least 2-3 years of hands-on PHP experience. Reason is there are many questions that simply can’t be learned from books, you have to learn them by doing things. Other than that …. not an easy exam but manageable :)

485 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+6 more
omarabid says

Not really up-to-date info ‘cause I got my certification back in 2007 but I’d just recommend that you don’t take it if you don’t have at least 2-3 years of hands-on PHP experience. Reason is there are many questions that simply can’t be learned from books, you have to learn them by doing things. Other than that …. not an easy exam but manageable :)

Did you got any benefits from it? (was it worth the trouble?)

333 posts No! It's not a 5 minute job!
  • Won a competition
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+14 more
WebFactory says

Did you got any benefits from it? (was it worth the trouble?)

It’s like college …. sucks if you don’t have it, worthless if you do :) In my country (Croatia) I was the only person who had it for almost a year so I did land some decent jobs on that account. But these days a lot of people have it so …. it’s quite individual.

973 posts
+5 more
aaranmcguire says

well i have been coding for some years, dont think im pro yet but im going to try do a practice test to see if i would pass or not.

37 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
Karthis says

I think the best thing you can do for yourself is show a strong portfolio of work. Whether you are ‘certified’ or not, if you can show that you know what you’re doing that’s all that really matters.

812 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
LCweb says

I think the best thing you can do for yourself is show a strong portfolio of work. Whether you are ‘certified’ or not, if you can show that you know what you’re doing that’s all that really matters.

I think so

973 posts
+5 more
aaranmcguire says

a good portfolio is good for freelancing, but when you want to work for a company (a big one) they look at the CV before they look at any of your work. thats why i want to look at certification.. im already learning to do the CompTIA A+ and looking to do Server+, Linux+ Network+ and Security+ its alot to take on but thats my goal for the year

18 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+3 more
webarto says

PHP 5 .3 exam emphasize object oriented programming, so if you don’t have experience, it is highly unlikely you can pass exam. There are 70 questions and you have 90 minutes to answer them. There is no score shown, you will just get message if you passed or failed. It is perfectly valid certificate and surely you can get job easier if you have it. For “big” companies, you also have to have college. I recommend (S|O)CMA (Sun/Oracle Certified MySQL Associate) and CCNA (CISCO Certified Network Associate).

by
by
by
by
by
by