288 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+2 more
soundengine says

Anyone using zoom products for recording live instruments? I know there are videos on youtube but those are mostly raw material. I want to hear how it sounds in the mix. If you have pieces featuring instruments recorded with zoom products (h1, h4n, etc.) please share.

Thanks

572 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
+2 more
tacoMusic says

I have a zoom h4, but I use it for sound fx / sound design stuff that I incorporate into my film scores. I’d recommend using external mice if you get one as it makes a big difference (not sure if the new models allow for that though…).

Ah, to answer your question (!), I’m away from my studio for the next month or so, but when I get back, and this is assuming you’re still interested in hearing them, I’ll post some samples.

The_Auditory_Group
The_Auditory_Group Recent Posts Threads Started
32 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
+2 more
The_Auditory_Group says

I have the h4n. I love it for garilla style recording. I just keep it in my bag and use it to pick up random tidbits here and there when I’m out and about then possibly cutting them into tracks. It’s really handy for that! Personally I don’t use those preamps for recording instruments in the studio although it can definitely give you useable results should you choose to. I have however used the threshold recording feature to listen back to how loud I snore the next morning ; ) wish I was joking.

All the best!

839 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+3 more
gbiasillo says

I’d recommend using external mice if you get one as it makes a big difference.

Would you recommend white ones? How about blind ones? Or blind and white? Cheers! :)

572 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
+2 more
tacoMusic says

Would you recommend white ones? How about blind ones? Or blind and white? Cheers! :)

Haha! Balls, I didn’t realise I’d given away my secret so easily…

436 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
studio_21 says

Check out the “funny balloon sound” and “vibrating phone” from my sound portfolio. They were recorded with the zoom h2n ;).

288 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
+2 more
soundengine says

Thanks guys, couldn’t wait to hear some recording samples and bought myself a h1 today. I must say, it’s a great tool for the price. Sound quality is quite useable and, with a bit of waves magic, it’s inseparable from a standard mic.

I definitely recommend it to anyone thinking of getting one.

RecycledRecitals
RecycledRecitals Recent Posts Threads Started
96 posts
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+2 more
RecycledRecitals says

Taking my H4n with me to the airport today – my only caveat is the AA batteries. It’d be nice to have a rechargeable unit like on a camera.

The sound quality is great for the price, and the adjustable microphone heads are nice for grabbing stereo ambiances and water. It’s the only piece of gear, other than a camera, that I don’t mind waving around in questionable places ;D

693 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+7 more
OhmLab says

I love my H4n and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for something compact to deliver the highest quality HD sound for the price. Use it for instruments, vocals, voiceover work, FX and foley captures and it’s brilliant for long environmental soundscape recordings.

206 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+4 more
reubenchng says

I didn’t even have the H4n. I had the H4 ( an older version ) and I finished a documentary with it. Of course I had an audio technica shotgun microphone jacked to it while recording dialogues outdoors. However some of the sound effects in the documentary was recorded usin the onboard stereo microphones. Excellent recorder for its price.

Maybe I’ll post a link to the documentary soon. It’ll be aired on History channel! ’’The Fall Of Penang”. :D

by
by
by
by
by
by