Ness – Minimalist Personal Photomagazine Wordpress HD Theme v1.3
Ness is a modern minimalist personal photo magazine theme for WordPress that can be used on any WordPress blogging niche, but perfect as a personal blog theme. It is responsive, HD (retina-ready) and has unique features to ensure this personal blog theme has great readability. Full-screen image embeds with no shortcodes, parallax featured images, beautiful full-screen gallery post type that is touch-friendly (and portrait-image friendly too), which all leads to a wonderful user experience on all devices and screen sizes and gives your personal blog that personal touch.
New sidebar option in v1.3 A popular request for Ness was an option for a sidebar. And in v1.3 it’s finally here – Sidebar option for posts (Left/right/none)
- Clean, ultra modern and dynamic design for a professional and engaging visitor experience
- Retina Ready (HD) WordPress blogging theme
- RTL & WPML ready
- Comes with .mo/.po files for quick and easy translation. Spanish already translated.
- Integrated lightbox (can be turned on/off in theme options)
- Responsiveness can be turned on/off in theme options
- Touch-friendly sliders and user experience
- Author pages can add social network icons that link to author profile links
- Global featured image style override option from the theme options (Posts have an option inside them to ignore this override too for 100% control and easy setup)
- Logo, Retina logo and favicon upload options
- Code-editor for custom CSS option in theme options that shows if your code has errors automatically
- Option to turn off By Line completely, or just disable specific parts of the By Line (Author, Date and Category)
- XML file with demo content included
- Posts can have an advertising block appear at the end of the content (input box in theme options and also automatically executes shortcodes)
- Each Category has an option to add an advertising block in between the cover image and posts list
- Each Tag has an option to add an advertising block in between the cover image and posts list, see example here: Travelling Tag
- Footer can have one, two or three columns of widgets for advertising possibilities.
- Unique slide-in menu with option to show posts below. They can be random/most popular/latest, and the number of posts to be shown can be set too.
- Unique progress bar to show how much of the article is left, unique and encourages readers to read the entire article.
- Unique progress bar turns into a “Next/previous article” once a user finishes the article (reaches 100%)
- Two styles for navigation bar (dark/light)
- Optional Full-screen slider to show latest posts or specific posts using Category/tag filters. Also has option to select number of posts to show in slider.
- Offset Option is available when using the slider above posts for posts lists to not have duplicate posts appear on the same page.
- 3 Blog styles for homepages to show the latest posts:
- Infinite Scroll Options: All blog styles can use “Number pagination / Infinite Scroll / Infinite Scroll with Load More Button”.
- Post Format: Gallery. Beautiful full-screen gallery that is touch friendly and portrait-image friendly too, see demo here: Gallery Post Demo
- Post Format: Video (Able to embed YouTube / Vimeo / Kickstarter / Viddler videos) and appearing in a unique overlay of the featured image by the press of the play button (YouTube starts playing automatically when the play button is pressed, and paused if the X button is pressed)
- Post Format: External Audio(Able to embed any audio embed) and appearing in a unique overlay of the featured image
- Post Format: Self-hosted Audio (Able to upload your own .mp3/.ogg audio files) and appearing in a unique overlay of the featured image by the press of the play button (audio starts playing automatically when the play button is pressed)
- Full-screen image embeds with no need for shortcodes, see example here: Full-screen images throughout post
- Post like system with multiple icons as options. When a user leaves a like on a post, a cookie is left on the visitor’s computer with the relevant post ID, to minimize chance of visitors liking the same post multiple times.
- Change the featured Image style: Parallax, full-screen, slideshow or off (so you can manually insert an image at the top of the post)
- Optional Byline at the end of every post with multiple options (different parts of it can be turned on/off)
- Social Network Share Block (Can be turned on/off in Theme Options panel)
- Unique Visitor Love Count with different icon options: Stars/Hearts/Lightning Bolt (Can be change and turned on/off in Theme Options panel)
- About The Author Box (Can be turned on/off in Theme Options panel)
- Next/Previous Posts Block (Can be turned on/off in Theme Options panel)
- Comments (Can be turned on/off in Theme Options panel)
- Each Category/Tag has the option to have set cover image to appear behind the main title
- Each Category/Tag has the option to have a different pagination style (Number pagination, infinite scroll, infinite scroll with load more button)
- Each Category/Tag has the option to have an advertising block appear in between the cover image and the posts lists
- Each Category has the option to use a different blog style (1 post per row, 2 posts per row or 3 posts per row)
- Featured Image Styles can also be used on pages (Parallax/full-screen/slideshow/off)
- Option to turn comments on/off
- Author pages can show social network icons that link to author’s social network profiles
- Ness Social Media Icons Widget
- Ness Latest Post Slider
- Ness Facebook Like Box Widget
- Ness Google+ Follow Badge Widget
- Ness Retina Image Widget
- Select column layout (1 column, 2 columns, 3 columns)
- Set background color and/or image for footer
- Optional to top button
- Custom footer copyright
- Set a color of links using a colorpicker
- Ability to use any Google Font for the font options
- Set a font for headings (h1, h2, etc)
- Set a font for general body text
- Optional font settings for article content area text (the actual post content). You can select color, a fontm font-size, font-style, text-align, font-weight, letter-spacing, line-height, text-decoration and text-transform. These options allow sites to tell their stories the way they want to.
- Option to “Load latin extended charset”: Some languages need these extra characters
- Option to “Cyrillic extended charset”: Some languages need these extra characters
A developer’s dream: Clean code and child-theme ready
For all theme customizations (i.e. add or change the theme’s code to make it do something it doesn’t do or add specific functionality) you will need to hire a developer to help you out. It is recommended to look for one on http://studio.envato.com as that site is run by the same people who run Themeforest.
Suggestions for future updates?
If you have a suggestion that you think would improve the theme, please leave a comment with the details and it will be considered.
- Video embeds from YouTube and Vimeo are of Big Buck Bunny ((c) copyright 2008, Blender Foundation / www.bigbuckbunny.org)
- A couple of images used are from Unsplash and a special thank you to Forrest Cavale, Daniel Ruswick, Lacey Raper and Paula Borowska for sharing their beautiful photographs.
- Valendesigns: Option Tree
- Scott Robin’s Backstretch
- Ben Plum’s Boxer
27 April 2015 – Ness v 1.3
UPDATED: Core framework and TGM for recently discovered XSS vulnerability: http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/security-vulnerability-affecting-wordpress-plugins-and-themes/173011 IMPROVED: Parallax smoothness/performance by over 40%! ADDED: New option inside posts: Sidebar (No sidebar / left sidebar / right sidebar) ADDED: New option in Theme Options -> Homepage -> Advertisement above posts list: To put an ad block above the posts list on the homepage. Can also be used for custom content. ADDED: New option in Theme Options -> Misc -> Search Pages Cover Image: To put a over image to search pages. ADDED: Polish translation files (thanks to mjczech ) ADDED: Norwegian translation files (thanks to mjczech ) BUGFIX: Load more translation bug BUGFIX: Missing z-index for regular menu submenu BUGFIX: Featured Image not loading on some setups BUGFIX: Global Featured image override option
07 October 2014 – Ness v 1.2
ADDDED: Basic WooCommerce template file to make WooCommerce pages look normal (without it the layout inside WooCommerce pages break) ADDED: New option in Theme Options -> Homepage. Option to add cover image to header when not using the full-screen slider (similar to how categories/tags currently work). IMPROVED: Post format Gallery on mobile: When users swipe, the dark overlay will disappear and if the user taps, it will re-appear BUGFIX: Read progress on/off option in theme options BUGFIX: Next/Previous post in menu on/off option in theme options BUGFIX: Translation wasn't working properly BUGFIX: Missing strings in translation files BUGFIX: Child-theme has been updated: Child-theme wasn't loaded child-theme stylesheet correctly BUGFIX: Image aligned left/right used padding (using 'em'), which wasn't showing up BUGFIX: Image center option wasn't working properly BUGFIX: Offset option was still running on homepage, even if using tags/category filters for slider
06 August 2014 – Ness v 1.1
ADDED: Theme Options -> Menu: Option to add/remove search in main menu ADDED: Theme Options -> Menu: Option to use regular menu (regular menu / slide-in menu) BUGFIX: Full-screen image in-post embeds now resize appropriately when changing from landscape/portrait view on tablets BUGFIX: Typography: Post Body Text Option: When Selecting "Other Google Font" issue. BUGFIX: Parallax Featured Image Style Option - Down arrow above image wasn't working on landscape devices/small screens IMPROVEMENT: Disabled smooth scrolling when site viewed on Mac (Mac's native smooth scroll is already really good)
25 July 2014 – Ness v 1.0
- Initial Release