Rescue – An Animal Shelter Theme with Petfinder Support
Rescue is a theme built with one purpose: Getting animals adopted. And on the plus side, your shelter can now have an awesome looking website. Pets can easily be added or you can pull them from your Petfinder profile with a few clicks.
How It Works with Petfinder
Rescue is built with the Petfinder API so you can easily sync your pets from your Petfinder profile to your WordPress install. A recurring script will run in designated intervals to make sure that Rescue always has the most updated information from your shelter’s Petfinder profile. Note that Rescue can only read from Petfinder, it cannot write to it. However, you can create pets solely in Rescue.
No Petfinder? No Problem.
While Rescue was made to work with Petfinder, it’s not required. Manually adding pets into Rescue is as simple as adding a post or page.
- Responsive & Retina Display Ready * – Try the demo on your iPad!
- Translation file included! – Use Rescue in any language †
- Manually create pets, sync from Petfinder, or both!
- Supports the same animal types as Petfinder: Dogs, Cats, Birds, Barnyard Animals, Horses, Pigs, Small & Furry, and Reptiles
- Color pickers for the header, buttons, and links
- 2 Content Layouts – Left & Right
- Styled for Gravity Forms, WP Email Capture, and Simple Google Maps Short Code
- Collect emails and export them into any email service such as MailChimp or Constant Contact
- 3 custom widgets including a Business Hours and Location widget, complete with map via the Simple Google Maps Short Code plugin
- Option to display a single category, or all categories on home page
- Automatically created galleries for pets – Just upload images to the post
- jQuery slider on the home page, plus lightboxes for images.
- Social Media Icons
- Use any number of widgets on the Home Page Banner and in the Footer. Rescue will automatically size them and make them look good.
- Easy setup with easy to follow instructions.
- Valid XHTML
* due to restrictions of Petfinder, pet images are not HiDef.
† due to restrictions of Petfinder, anything pulled from Petfinder cannot be translated, such as animal types and breeds.
This is a really great template with incredibly thorough documentation. It’s very easy to set up and automatically pulls information from Petfinder, making the task of maintaining both sites dramatically easier! Jake is also great at providing support, and has been a huge help in getting the template up and running. Thanks!!
This theme requires one plugin and has specific styles for three others which I recommend. Note that none of these are included.
- Required – Options Framework
- Recommended – Gravity Forms
- Recommended – WP Email Capture or WP Email Capture Pro
- Recommended – Simple Google Maps Short Code
SupportSupport is provided to all customers at http://support.designcrumbs.com. You’ll need your Purchase Code to access this theme’s section in the forum. To find your purchase code, go to your Downloads page, click on “License Certificate” on the theme you wish to get support on, open the file and look for the “Item Purchase Code”. That’s what you’ll need.
And thanks to all of the Envato members who graciously sent me pictures of their pets for the demo!
- 1.1.2: Fixed an issue where images needed to be attached to posts to display to the home page, moved to Font Awesome CDN
- 1.1.1: Fix for retina logos on iOS Chome
- 1.1: Various bug fixes and CSS updates, added links to slides, updated Fancybox.
- 1.0.6: Fixed a bug caused by the last update.
- 1.0.5: Minor code fix on slider, padding added to archives, pet pages now sorted alphabetically, IE8 CSS fixes, fix for featured images on posts with no images uploaded to them.
- 1.0.4: Fixes for shelters with abnormally large numbers of pets, fix for menus.
- 1.0.3: Fixed an issue were certain combinations of breeds would trigger an error.
- 1.0.2: Fixed an issue where some user’s adopted pets would not automatically delete, fixed an issue with duplicate images – If you have duplicate images for you pets you should delete the pet posts and resync
- 1.0.1: Fixed a minor issue with the Retina Logo option
- 1.0: Initial release