Here is my question regarding legal issues on using cu3er. I’m I allowed to help someone integrate cu3er in wp theme on non commercial site? And what if that person wants to pay me? How about if I create wp plugin and publish it for free? And then what if tf authors (or me) in help file write something like “recommending plugin wp-cu3er”?
why don’t you simply ask the author of CU3ER …?
why don’t you simply ask the author of CU3ER …?
and it would be nice to post his answer in this threat, so we all know whats going on or what to do
Here is Stefan’s answer in full:
Thank you for your interest in CU3ER .
Of course you can help someone to integrate CU3ER and be payed for even for commercial site. It’s stated in license: “You may deploy SWFs containing CU3ER as part of hired work for a third party as long as the SWF is unique to said party and not replicated / resold / redistributed as part of a template, application or service to additional parties.”
Regards to creating free plugin, you are also good to go, however please be aware of following:
- We are currently in full speed making CU3ER v1 as current version is fairly limited with lot of bugs. Obviously, beside removing bugs, there will be a number of great new features including CU3ER builder – featured online application for building and configuring CU3ER . In this perspective we are not yet sure what would be the best way (in the terms of functionality) for creating extension/plugin/module as large number of it’s functionality will already be included in v1 release. Once v1 is out, current version will not be available nor supported any more so we strongly recommend to hold on from jumping on plugin development for current version.
- However, we (CU3ER team) are willing (and be looking for) to support one professionally created WP plugin as official free CU3ER plugin (once v1 is out) with full credits to the authors featuring/recommending that plugin on CU3ER site.To be honest, there are already numbers of wp teams ready to take a bite.
- As there are already some wp plugins (which by the way we don’t support because of poor execution) we will keep our rights to prevent CU3ER distribution within any plugin if we are not satisfied with plugin capabilities and functionality. Plugins already created gave us a lot of headache because of their poor execution & limited options, turning users to our support to solve issues we are not responsible for. That left us with huge additional work on support and users associating CU3ER with bad experience – thing we would definitely like to avoid.
- Even if you create wp plugin, please be aware that using/embedding/implementing (I don’t know what else word I can use to describe such an action ) CU3ER in commercial templates for selling to third parties, will still require license. License is not concerning the way CU3ER is implemented (hardcoded or via plugin) – having CU3ER on template is what is important – regardless if it is in downlodable package or not, CU3ER displayed on template/theme demo is considered as part of template (and one of template selling points) thus obtaining license is mandatory.
- ”...help file write something like “recommending plugin wp-cu3er”” – for what you would recommend that plugin? I assume for CU3ER integration ( of course :)) again in commercial templates. Please understand that’s looking for another hole to avoid licensing, you encouraging your customers to use CU3ER providing them detailed help to implement CU3ER on their own – it’s still considered as selling point & you will doing that for your benefits only (more sales). I already stated on TF forum that we are trying to prevent any serious exploitation of current version in favor of v1, thus this new license is for. However end-user license is still free for both comercial and non-commercial works.
- You nicely said ”...customers like it, it’s easy to configure and integrate and has nice effects.” – would you consider us rude if we would ask a bite from that cake? Or should we consider others rude from preventing us to make that bite?
Please don’t take this as preaching, we just want to prevent CU3ER being exploited as our marketing & bussines plans are quite different from that term. Also I really appreciate you turn to me for advice instead going on your own. You are one among couple of rare peoples on ThemeForest who did that – thank you!
If I can help you with anything further, or if I didn’t understood your questions correctly, just please let me know!
thank you Mladjo, hope not everyone is reading this now….i dont like the idea of a free CU3ER plugin and the return on themeforest
so, got your question answered? if you wanna do a plugin anyway, why dont you join the development team and help em
we will keep our rights to prevent CU3ER distribution within any plugin if we are not satisfied with plugin capabilities and functionality.
It is sad CU3ER is making there plugin fall quickly. I don’t care how smart you are eventually you will need help. And there license is restricting them badly.
It is so stupid Can we even use the word CU3ER on the forums? I truly do ask if it is truly copyrighted/patented etc