So, I have been working on this Wordpress theme for a really long time, meticulously tweaking it’s precious lines of code and radient pixels of design well into the deepest hours of the night, and finally, finally I knew it was ready. I pulled up my suspenders and proudly submitted it off to Themeforest.
So, I went to work and started fixing everything I could find. Here is the almighty kailoon’s official letter of rejection:
1. Your template has a good start but, as we have high standards, you will need to make some additional improvements in overall aesthetics and aspects such as graphics, layout, colors, etc.
2. You need to include the wordpress GPL license within the download. http://blog.themeforest.net/site-news/important-change-to-wordpress-license-takes-effect-today-please-read/
3. It required many improvements in term of design, visual hierarchy, typography, layout and its aesthetic quality.
4. There is not much of functionality offered by this theme.
Obviously 2 is a big Homer Simpson “Doh!” to me but I was curious if anyone had some feedback for the other points. Now, I did make some changes since I got the letter so this isn’t the exact theme that kailoon saw: http://tylorskory.com/themeforest1/Oh, and here is the new list of features (this is longer than the list I had originally had for the theme)
- Valid XHTML /CSS
- Twitter Integration
- Social Media Counter Buttons – Facebook Share and Twitter ReTweet
- Up to 15 Advertisement Spots
- Custom Recent Comments
- Dynamic Navigation with Automatic Categories Drop-down List
- Threaded Comments
- Sub-header test (good for SEO )
- Tag Cloud and Categories Listing
- Easy to follow step-by-step install documentation with images
What do you think? Is it ready to send off again? Is there anything you see that I can add to make it better? Any advice and comments are welcome! Thanks!
The first thing that came to my mind is… I don’t know where to look at. What I mean is visual hierarchy. At the moment I feel that every piece of your template says “I’m the most important”.
Then I think it need a better main navigation – when you load the site you really want to notice the navigation immediately. And I’d say you can add some more whitespace.
Hope that helps a bit.
Yup! I see exactly what you mean about your eyes not knowing where to look. That link to the visual hierarchy looks really helpful and I will take a look at it. Awesome advice, I really appreciate it
Would you say that cmt’s advice would help to make it look more professional? Do you have any advice for what would make it look more “premium?”
Sorry Tylor, I don’t like it too I am not rating how you done the design in photoshop, I am rating the overall idea and layout – those are things that should be thought in your mind before starting photoshop. All I see is lots of text, small images and no point. The buyer needs theme which have “a point”. He needs to “show” his work or “present a product or company” etc. And I don’t clearly see what this one “does”. I hope you will understand what I meant by this. Try to define some hierarchy out of basic elements with their size based on their importance. Logos, headings, navigation, slider, footer etc…
Thanks freshface for the comment! As this is a blog theme, I tried to make the focus on the content (which I can see now that that wasn’t conveyed successfully). I think I will do as you say and try and really make “the point” stick out and work on improving the hierarchy.
PSmith12, thanks for your comment