CREATING THE SLIDER
- In WP admin, click Sliders, click Add New.
- Fill in the Title area. Example: Slider (set of slides).
- Click Upload/Insert media and the media window opens.
- In the From Computer tab, upload the images you want displayed in the home page slider.
- Click Save All Changes and the Gallery tab indicating the number of images in parenthesis appears on top.
- Click the Gallery tab.
- Click Insert or Update Gallery and the media window closes. You should now see the Gallery placeholder in the text pane.
You may or may not set up featured image. But setting up one makes it more visual and easily identifies your slider when setting up the Page for the slider. If not set, a “No Image” placeholder will be seen instead. This is alright, the title primarily identifies your slider.
Click Publish. Nothing happens yet, proceed to creating the page for the slider.
CREATING THE PAGE FOR THE SLIDER
- In WP admin, click Pages, click Add New.
- Fill in the Title area. Example: Home Slider.
- In the Page Attributes box, under Template in the drop down options, choose Homepage – New Slider. The Options for New Slider box appears.
- In the Options for New Slider box, set the Transition, Interval, Autoplay and Overlay Mask. Under Show:, choose Only… check the slider you made. If you’re following using my examples, check Slider (set of slides).
- Click Publish. Continue with the next set of steps.
MAKING THE PAGE FOR THE SLIDER A HOME PAGE
- In WP Admin, hover over Settings, Click Reading.
- In Front page displays setting, choose A Static Page.
- In the Front page drop down options, choose the page where you created the slider. In my example, Home Slider.
- Click Save Changes.
That’s it! Check out your new Home page slider. You may need to rename and reorganize your menu in the Appearance
if you don’t want the Page you created to show up in the menu. Removing it from the menu doesn’t affect the slider function.
EDITING CONTENTS OF THE SLIDER
- If you want to add or remove images from the slider you made, just edit the slider.
- In WP Admin, click Slider.
- Click Edit under the title of the slider you made. i.e., Slider (set of slides)
- In the text pane area, click on the gallery placeholder and click Edit Gallery icon. The media window opens up in the Gallery tab.
- Delete or edit images in the Gallery tab.
- If you want to add more images, click From Computer tab and upload more images.
- Click Save all changes. The number of gallery images in parenthesis updates.
- Click Update gallery settings and the media window closes.
- Click Publish.
View your updated slider.