Envato Tuts+ Courses
- Video courses taught by expert instructors.
- Learn new skills from start to finish.
- Downloadable Source Files also available on GitHub.
WebSockets make it possible to have interactive, two-way communication sessions between the user’s browser and a server. With this API, you can receive event-driven messages without having to poll the server for updates. This makes WebSockets a powerful and efficient tool for building interactive websites.
Libraries such as Socket.IO make it easy to integrate WebSockets into the front-end and back-end of a site. In this course, Tuts+ instructor Daniel Stern will show you how to build a real-time link-sharing application that uses Express and Socket.IO.
What You’ll Learn
- Scaffold a Socket.IO application.
- Create an Express server and add WebSockets to the back end.
- Build the front end of a link-sharing application, creating messages, displaying likes, updating like counts, etc.
- Use Moment.js to display the time that messages were added.
- Add styles to the app.
About the Instructor
Daniel Stern has developed Front End Web Applications for major banks, advertising agencies, and charities, as well as many of his own projects. Daniel is always learning and has a keen interest in Angular, React, LESS and Node.js. Find him on his website, or connect with him on Twitter or LinkedIn.