Table of Contents
- What’s already included?
- User profile info
- Private messages
- Members list
- Recipe submission
- Recipe Archive
- Tags Index
What’s already included?
User profile info:
- Cooking levels – The cooking level for a user. It can be “None”, “Beginner”, “Intermediate”, “Expert” or “Professional”.
- Last user visit – Display the time when a user has been active on the site.
- Number of profile views – How many time other users visited the main profile page of a specific user.
- Living in – Allows the user to set the home country/location.
- User website – If the user has a website, it can display its URL on the profile page.
- Registration date. – Shows the registration date. It may be usefull for other users, because they will know how old this user is on the curent site.
- Reputation score. – Shows how many reputation points the user has, with the link to detailed info about it.
- Number of followers/following. – he number of folowers and the number of users that is following with the link to the list of users.
- About – A short description about itself.
- Send Private message – Allows other user to contact the user via a private contact form.
- Settings – Allows the user to set/update profile settings.
- Follow button – Using AJAX it allows to instantly follow a user.
- Awards – A list of awards that the user has won.
- Social profiles – A list of URLs to other social networks where the user is register
- User activity – A log with all user’s activity. It displays, the recipes submited, user following actions, recipes added to favorites and liked recipes.
- Avatars – Any registered user is allowed to upload a custom avatar image. The avatars works everywhere, in comments, members list, forums, etc. No limits.
- Password metter – When the user is updating its profile, and if is picking a new password, there is an indicator that shows how strong the password is. This is done by following an algorithm that determine the password length and the caracters used. If the password is at least 8 chars long and contains one lowecase letter, on uppercase letter, one number and one special character, it is determined to be strong.
- User profile “My recipes” – is a page where the user can see all all its recipes. Check the status and access the edit tools.
All messages are delivered using AJAX. This will prevent the page reload and will provide a better user experience. If the message does not meet the minimum requirements or a problem occured, the form will return a human readable error message.
The user will get a notification in the website header with the number of new unread messages, each time a new message is sent from another member.
- Inbox – a list of all messages that has received a user.
- Sent – a list of all messages sent by a user.
- Important – a list of messages marked as important by a user.
Stortcut messages send – Press
Ctrl+Enterto send the message.
- AJAX message send – The private messages are sent via AJAX. This allows the message to be transfered almost instantly, without reloading the page.
Members list displays all registered users on the site. There is available a basic user info, number of recipes submitted, reputation and the “Follow” button with the number of followers.
Submit recipes directly from the website front-end, alowed for any registered user and reject user from accessing the WP dashboard. Only admin are allowed to access the admin side.
- Featured image – Use the native WP media Uploader to insert the featured image for a recipe.
- Ingredients – Allows to add an unlimited number of ingredients. Each ingredient can include the name, quantity, measurement and other notes. The measurements can be edited(remove. add new) from the control panel, accessible only for admins.
- “Preparation mode” and “Footnotes” – Use TinyMCE to create beautifull rich content that describe the recipe.
- Links – If the recipe is not original, or if it a modified copy or whatever else, the user is allowed to insert the links in the footer of the newly submitted recipe. This field(like many other) is optional and may be left empty.
- Per page – The current reader can select how many recipes it want to be displayed per page. It has the option to select from a drop-down menu.
- Sort by category or/and tag – When browsing recipes it can be hard to find the right one. That’s why it was implemented the sort by category or/and tag. If it selected only the category or only the tag, the page will show the results only for the selected value. But, if they are both selected, the page will show all recipes from the selected category that contains the selected tag. So you can be sure that the users will find the right recipes.
- Recipe view – There a 3 recipe styles. The user can select the view that it likes more. To describe each, first has the most details, second is compact list view and third is a grid style that is aimed to provide a visual browsing using only the recipe photo and title.
The tags index is a very sly feature that allows to view all available tags and the number of recipes that’s using each. Also on that page is a filter that allows to minimize the list and to show only the tags that contains a part of a word. They can be viewed in inline or list mode. This is left at the user discretion.
For the forums is user the bbPress plugin. It is fully compatible with this theme and it’s styled to give a strong impression of a real standalone forum software. Check it, there are many modifcations that you will not find in the default bbPress.
The homepage is using a special drag and drop page builder. You can drag the modules and display recipes, by:
- Subbmission date.
- Last update date.
- Favorites count.
- Likes count.
- Comments count.
- Featured first.
Also you can display blog posts in grid or list view by:
- Subbmission date.
- Last update date.
- Comments count.
There are also other modules that can help you to build a better index page to impress your website visitors.
The theme has packed some special widgets that you may find usefull.
- Social – Display links to your social networks. In the demo you find only a few, but you really want you can make the sidebar full with different socail networks links and each can have it’s logo(obviously), color, and special text.
- Recipes categories – Of course you’ll need this. The users should be able to pick a recipe category from the list.
- Recipes widget – Again like on the homepage you can display a list of recipes that is based on a set of settings: sorted by number of likes, favorites, date, etc.
- Top users – Shows the authors sorted by reputation. They make your website content, so they need some attention. (:
How to update from version 1.x to 2.x:
- Replace all theme files. Don’t forget to keep the language files and please backup the old theme first.
- Go to Customizer and just save the settings. The save button may be inactive, so just change any field and revert the changes back to make it possible to save.
- Go to “Recipe settings” Adjust the new settings available and save. That’s very important because some functions may not work.
- Go to “Recipe Cuisines” and insert the new cuisine names. Else the “Cuisines” field will not be visible.
- Go to “Permalinks” page and save. This will make the cuisine taxonomy available, otherwise it may return 404 when accessed.
- Adjust the servings for each recipe. By default this function assumes that the recipe is for 1 serving.
- Translate the new string to your language if needed.
- Clear the browser cache if needed.
- WordPress 4.9 compatibility.
- Improvement: Allow to set the exact image height(by cropping) on the homepage for recipes list.
- Improvement: Redesign some of the settings pages from WP admin.
- New: Added “Envato Market” plugin to the list of recommended plugins to install. I hope this will make theme updating easier because it’s done automatically.
- New: The possibility to define custom redirect URLs for registration and login. See: Recipes->Settings.
- New: Two options on each page to show or hide the page header and/or footer.
- New: New advanced page builder module: Buttons
- Bug fix: Fix the incorrect display of followers, single and plural versions.
- Bug fix:
Gustos\WP_Queryclass not found on theme update process.
- Bug fix: The loader is not visible on some pages from admin side.
- Bug fix: The menu links in responsive mode should not retain the default color.
- Bug fix: The responsive menu sometimes fails to close.
- Bug fix: The image module from page builder does not align propely when selected ‘center’ or ‘right’.
- Bug fix: Redesigned the menu UI close handle.
- Bug fix: Make user email addresses lowercase when sending a email about a PM.
- Improvements: More PM form hooks for developers.
- Improvement: Redirect to user profile after user settings are updated.
- Improvement: Show “x stars” instead of just a number in tooltip on rating stars hover.
- Improvement: Replaced the recipe notice for non-authenticated users with a more user friendly design.
- More descriptive info for some fields from admin side.
- Minor menu design improvements.
- Bug fix: Parse error in
- Bug fix: Gustos child does not load parent styles. Both parent and child themes were updated.
- Bug fix: User profile error.
v2.7 – UX improvements and codebase cleanup and better social links handling.
- Bug fix: Page builder does not correctly display the
selectfields options. Especially in “Row background” setting.
- Bug fix: The reputation points are not created for new registered users.
- Improvement: Show a notice on top of PM form for non authenticated users.
- Improvement: Disable PM form submission for non authenticated users.
- Improvement: The tooltip that says “You can’t follow yourself” is now red.
- Improvement: Top user menu UX improvements. Do not show the “Shopping cart” and “Private messages” dropdowns if they are empty. Also instead of title show respectively “No private messages” and “Shopping cart is empty”
- Improvement: Vertical alignment to center of top menus regardless of logo size.
- Improvement: Page builder structure/UX improvements.
- Improvement: Responsive menu UX improvements.
- Improvement: Changed the user navigation icon on top to provide a better idea of what it contains and to differentiate from main menu.
- Improvement: The mobile menu is now full-screen.
- Cleanup: Removed Ecwid styles as this theme never has a real support for this system.
assets/css/styles.cssmoved to root
- Cleanup: Removed or replaced other files and folders that are not required or outdated.
- New: Dynamic social network profiles using “Social Profiles by ZeroWP”. This replaces the built-in theme functionality that has only a few inputs for most popular networks. The new plugin adds support for 170+ networks.
- New: Migrate “Social Follow” widget to “Social Profiles by ZerowWP” plugin
- Removed: “SMK Widget Image” has been removed. Use default “Image” widget from WordPress.
- Dev: qTip has been replaced with a another ultra lightweigt jQuery plugin zTip. That’s 4KB(zTip) vs 43KB(qTip). This has a serious page load performance improvement impact because zTip creates tooltip only when needed, not on page load.
- Dev: SMK Accordion has been replaced with Accordion.JS.
- Bug fix: Hide difficulty and preparation time from “Large view” if the fields are disabled from admin panel.
- Bug fix: Servings field is not visible.
v2.6.0 – Built-in Google Adsense support
- New: Built-in Google Adsense support.
- Add the correct version to style.css
- Add the option to change the the recipe author from admin side.
- The following strings, still not translatable: “Servings”, “Recommended products”, “Preparation Time”
- Responsive iframes support. Youtube, Vimeo, Google maps, etc.
- Bug fix: Hide “Difficulty” and “Preparation Time” info if the form fields are disabled from admin panel.
- Improvements: Added more hooks for developers.
- Bug fix: The theme updater notice, from wp-admin, does not dissapear.
- Bug fix: “PHP Notice: Undefined variable: desciption” from recipe submission page.
- Many strings still were not possible to translate. To be exact, the translated strings were not loaded regardless of site language.
- Code refactoring and autoloading PHP classes on demand.
- Error when trying to format user views for the first time(PHP Warning Level).
- Bug fix: Some JS scripts not loaded on “edit recipe” page. This is because in version 2.4 was introduced “conditional scripts loading”. As a result the accordion for ingredients ans links are not usable.
- Bug fix: Infinite browser redirects for non-logged users on some servers.
- New: Introduced a form to filter members directory results.
v2.4 – Major performance improvements.
- Complete review of all theme files.
- Ensure that all strings are translatable. Previously there were some strings impossible to translate. This update fix all of them.
- Check if the uploaded avatar ID is an image before display.
- Added theme version in functions.php for easy access. It is available under
- smk_theme.pot has been updated and more strings were added that may need to be translated. Make sure to translate the new strings.
- Removed built-in widgets cache. This is plugin territory.
- Update “last user visit” every 5 minutes, not how it was done previously on every page request. This improves the performance, especially when there are more concurrent connections.
- Major performance improvements.
- Better, revised XML demo data. >Up to date xml file with demo content.
- New: Show recipes with some of their metadata in REST API
- New: Show a tooltip on print page that will let the users know about the posibilility to delete an element.
- New: Added theme support for `customize-selective-refresh-widgets`.
- New: Added a custom widget: “Advanced Recent Comments.”
v2.3.1 – Hierarchical display of categories
- Improvement: Hierarchical display of categories – http://i.imgur.com/73PUrit.png
- Page builder support for images and “Contact form 7”.
v2.3 – Custom and automated awards
- Bug fix: Incorrect ingredients quantity calculation based on servings number.
- New: Custom user awards and the posibilility to modify the existing. All from a single control panel.
- New: Automated user awards. Now it’s possible to automatically assign awards to users based on their reputation, number of recipes or when the user is registered.
- New: The awards has the possibility to choose between 3 styles and set any colors. Also it’s possible to use any icon from font awesome or any other library.
- New: Possibility to upload an image for awards.
- Bug fix: Servings calculator not working when servings is a big number.
- New: Option to disable social networks fields in user settings form. You find it in “Customizer” under “Theme Settings”
- Introduced more filter hooks.
- New filter hook: For measurements fields from submission page.
- New: Added an option to search form to filter the recipes by calories.
- Improvement: Several changes to the floating search form.
- New: Added a new option to set a default name for non-existing users.
- Bug fix: The fonts list in Customizer not loaded properly.
- New: JS tooltip for user awards.
- Bug fix: Parse error from widgets-cache.php.
- Bug fix: PHP 5.3 compatibility.
- New: Added an option to set a sidebar on shop page to left or right. It’s accesible from Customizer->Theme Settings->Shop Sidebar
- New: Autorefresh private messages when on single discussion page.
- Bug fix: The featured slider autoplay not working.
- Bug fix: The incorrect author display in featured slider.
- More readable colors for products price in page builder.
- Bug fix: Do not display the related products section if the selected ids are not actual published products.
- smk_theme.pot template file refreshed.
- Performance improvements.
- Improvement: Previously the users count was cached for 6 hours, now this number is saved in DB as a static value. Then it is updated only when a user is created or deleted.
- Improvement: Previously the recipes count was cached for 3 hours, now this number is saved in DB as a static value. Then it is updated only when a recipe is created or deleted.
- Improvement: Hide registration form and links if registration is disabled by default.
- Improvement: Allow user registration based on default WP option. Previously this was always enabled. Now it offers the option to disable this.
- Bug fix: Translation functions and user settings form now are loaded within ‘init’ action hook.
- New: Two new page builder modules for WooCommerce products.
- Improved: The page builder modules: “Featured recipe” and “Recipes list”
- Bug fix: Invisible price in WC related products on single page.
- New: the recipe manage menu has been included in archives pages for large view.
- New: Relationships between WooCommerce products and recipes. It’s possible to select related products on recipe submittion and they will be be shown on single recipe page. Then on each selected product will be shown the linked recipe.
- New: Added a tab on user profile page with all orders created in WooCommerce. This tab is private.
- Introduced a cache system for theme widgets. You can disable the cache in each widget settings.
- Improvement: Page builder recipes list. Allow to display the recipes from 1 to 10 columns.
- Removed some unused code from functions.php
- Bug fix: Allow the selection of multiple categories when the setting is set to 0(zero) or is empty.
- Bug fix: The same cooking level is assigned to a user multiple times.
- Bug fix: Do not downgrade the cooking level when the current level is higher.
- New: Filters for title and description on submittion form.
- New option: Category limit or multiple category select. Now it’s possible to set the maximum number of categories that can select a user. Previously it was limited to only one.
- New option: Send to pending. Allows to anyone publish recipes imediatelly without admin approval.
- New: Dynamic user cooking levels.
- New: Automatically assign cooking levels to users based on the total number of recipes published.
- New: Send a PM when the cooking level is automatically updated.
- Bug fix: The form does not display the errors for some fields.
- Bug fix: Demo mode option is set to enabled by default. Now it will be disabled by default.
- The smk_theme.pot file has been updated.
- New: Added “Recipes: Settings” link to admin bar.
- Added redirect to homepage if current user is not allowed to submit recipes. After redirect a notice will be shown on top.
- Now, if a user is not logged in and tries to submit a recipe, it will be redirected to homepage and the autentication form will be displayed.
- Now it’s easy to display the login/registration forms just by folowing a URL. Append
?auth=loginto open the log in form or
?auth=registerto open the registration form.
- New: Custom taxonomies. Unlimited taxonomy generator.
- Bug fix: The floating search form does not get the taxonomy term if is on a taxonomy archive page.
- Bug fix: Error “image” property missing from schema.org
- Bug fix: Follow button text not localized.
- All taxonomy-*.php files deleted.
- File xwoocommerce.php has been deleted.
- New translation strings.
- Bug fix: Email notification is not formated as HTML message. This fix will add the paragraphs and display as HTML.
- “ro_RO.mo”, “ro_RO.po”, “de_DE.mo”, “de_DE.po” translation files were removed to prevent the overiding of up to date files created by site administrators.
- Bug fix: The links from user profiles are not formated correctly if permalinks are not enabled.
- Fixed some date formats that are not translated.
- Updated date format. In most cases it should use first the format from “General Settings”->”Date Format”.
- Bug fix: Uploader does not accepts files with extensions that are not lower case.
- WooCommerce shopping cart in header. Enable it from Customizer->Header UX->Show Woocomerce cart icon in header
- New: Align main menu to right. Enable from Customizer->Header UX
- New: Send a private message notification to one or more admins when a user attach images to a recipe.
- Enable or disable the rights to attach images for individual users. Useful if you want to ban an user that spams the system.
- New: Embed multiple videos from any provider supported by oEmbed, by URL.
- New functions, filters and actions, so now it’s easy to create new fields without modifying the theme files.
- Improvements: Single recipe page design.
- New: Implemented a jquery slider on “single recipe” page that will host the recipe images and videos.
- Added new filters and actions. See the source code for more info.
- jQuery qTip update from v2.2.1(full) to v3.0.3(min).
- New: Field called “Servings” and calculator for ingredients besed on servings number.
- Bug fix: The user reputation log does not display the messages.
- Bug fix: Some parts are not using the right function to clean URLs.
- CSS bug fix: The content may not be visible in some sections because of CSS rules overflow: hidden; For example on “My recipes” page.
- CSS improvement: The row is larger when the layout is set to fullwidth.
- New frontend image uploader that will improve user experience and site performance considerably.
- New: Multiple images uploader. Now it’s possible to add more than one image to a recipe.
- Bug fix: The old uploader failed to upload images on sites that uses an SSL certificate(https prefix). Now the new uploader works great without problems.
- WP Media has been removed from frontend. This should improve the site performance because it loaded too many JS assets for logged in users.
- New: Demo mode forms. If enabled the user will be able only to see the forms but not save any changes.
- Uploading PHP settings info
- New: Allow anyone to upload images to a recipe. Logged in users will be able to submit their own pictures of a particular recipe. After that, images will be appended to main recipe slider.
- New: Nutrition labels, based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
- New: Cuisine styles field. It’s added as a taxonomy and also it’s available in advanced search.
- New: Maximum upload file size settings field for single site WordPress Installs.
- New: Floating advanced search form. No need anymore to go to a page to perform the search. The search form is available on any page.
- Improvement: The new floating search form now creates clean URLs on submittion. That means all empty parameters are excluded from URL, unlike the old form were they all were added.
- Added a default background for icons in social follow widget. Also, the widget has been renamed to “Social Follow”.
- “Recipes Categories” widget has been updated to “Recipes Taxonomy”. Now it’s possible to select any taxonomy that is assigned to recipes CPT.
- Recipe metaboxes has been removed from backend. Use front end form instead.
- Prevent recipe edit from backend and redirect to frontend form. This option can be enabled from “Recipes Settings”.
- New: Send an email when a recipe is published.
- New: Send an email when an user gets a private message.
- New: Widget “Quick Search”.
- No follow for search engines on print page.
- Added the possibility to create custom fields for social networks. Use the function
gustos_add_social_network( $key, $settings )to create a new field.
- New social network in user profile: Instagram.
- Font Awesome update to 4.7.0
- Compatibility with the latest WordPress version(4.6)
- Bug fix: Style for homepage featured slider
- Bug fix: Incorrect tooltip position(out of viewport).
- Bug fix: Incorrect tooltip position(out of viewport).
- Compatibility with latest WooCommerce version.
- Safari 9 major bug fix.
- Fixed “lessphp” conflict between theme and other plugins.
- Bugfix: On “tags index” page first tag letter is dropped.
- Option to lock recipes for registered only users.
- Other bug fixes.
- New! Added “Following feed”. Users can see the activity made by the users they are following. The page is located under “Feed” tab in each personal profile.
- Fixed incorrect display of tags in search filter for words that uses non-english characters.
- Fixed incorrect display of non-english characters on “Tags Index” page.
- Page Builder can display recipes from a specific category. Before it displayed only from all categories.
- Homepage can have a sidebar.
- Ingredients were not displayed because of a broken child theme. Remove the old child theme completely and replace it.
- Incorect display of rating in comments on small resolution devices.
- Fixed “Recipes List” widget number field.
- Fixed “Top Users” widget number field.
- Updated translation files. Use “Loco Translate” to translate the new strings.
- WordPress 4.3.1 compatibility.
- Reviews and ratings.
- Search icon is always visible.
- Option to allow minimum image width for recipes submission.
- Option to allow to hide or show unapproved recipes for admins only.
- The widget that displays the recipe categories can be a dropdown menu.
- Sticky navigation.
- Revolution slider support(the plugin is not included).
- Control the required/enabled submission fields.
- ...and much more…
- Improvement: Restored “Recipes per page” option for filter.
- Bug fix: Login form is not visible on mobile devices.
- Improvement: Keep the info about “recipes per page” and “view” in advanced search form.
- New: The admin can set the default number of recipes per page.
- New: The admin can set the default recipes view.
- New: Control the number of columns for recipes in “grid” view mode.
- Fix: Security fix. http://goo.gl/rHGcZ5
- Bug fix: The page builder module “Forums” displays only 5 items, even if the settings uses a different number.
- Improvement: Custom recipe slugs, accessible from “Permalinks” page.
- Improvement: SEO friendly category, tag, ingredient URLs.
- Improvement: Updated the page title structure.
- New: Search icon in site header.
- Improvement: The icons from user menu can be disabled or enabled.
- Improvement: The user menu now can show tha avatar OR the username OR an icon.
- Improvement: Single recipe meta can be placed on top, right, bottom or left.
- Other adjustments.
- New: Site copyright option
- New: The layout can be full width or boxed.
- New: Dynamic layout width. From 940px to 1440px.
- New: Dynamic sidebar width. From 240px to 440px.
- New: The recipes index can have a sidebar aligned to the left or right.
- New: A better recipes settings panel.
- Improvement: Now if the public submission is disabled the “Add new recipe” link, from site header, will be hidden.
- Improvement: The layout will always be 100% in height even if the page has no content at all.
- New: Require or make optional recipe submission fields, from admin panel.
- Improvement: Now the page builder text module supports shortcodes.
- New: If the Revolution Slider is installed, a module will be added to the page builder. You can use it now.
- Bug fix: The summary counter displays 0 if the pagination is active.
- Improvement: Minimize the blog date on small screens.
- Improvement: A better sidebar on mobile devices.
- Improvement: The recipe meta is always visible, even on small mobile devices.
- New: Favorites, Likes, Views, Print, Filter options can e enabled or disabled.
- New: Advaced recipes search/filter.
- Improvement: The page builder can show recipes in columns from 3 to 10.
- New: Social login support for 27 social networks.
- New: Secure login with reCaptcha.
- New: Terms and conditions for registration.
- New: Admins can remove activities and reputation.
- Bug fix: Duplicated activity and reputation points.
- Improvement: The members counter from site footer links to the members page.
- Improvement: Custom reputation points. Now the admins can set the number of points that gets a user when an action is executed.
- Documentation update.
- Improvement: Improved performance. Now the theme loads 5x times faster.
- Improvement: Logo can be centered, above the menu.
- Improvement: Added option to disable the page title.
- Improvement: Custom Google fonts.
- Improvement: Custom 404 settings.
- Improvement: Recipes are edited on the same page, not on a separated one anymore.
- Improvement: More customizer options.
- Bug fix: Doubled page title in title tag.
- Bug fix: User “display name” is not saved in the user settings form.
- Bug fix: Conflict between Yoast SEO plugin and the page builder
- Bug fix: Infinite redirect loop, that has been reported by some users.
- Bug fix: Users could see the edit link for recipes submitted by others(don’t worry, they were not able to edit others recipes).
- Bug fix: Measurements are not saved for new recipes submissions.
- Removed: The tags index cache, because it creates the feel that tags are not saved.
- Partial WooCommerce support. Full support and design will be added in version 1.1.