Envato Tuts+ Courses
- Video courses taught by expert instructors.
- Learn new skills from start to finish.
- Downloadable Source Files also available on GitHub.
Ruby is more than just a language, it is a whole ecosystem. The power of the language is greatly multiplied by the thousands of gems freely available from the public gem server, but there are also some amazing tools that come already bundled with Ruby.
In this course, you’ll learn how to use the standard libraries that come bundled in with every installation of Ruby. Envato Tuts+ instructor José Mota will teach you how to:
- manipulate YAML, CSV and JSON data
- apply delegation for better code reuse
- fetch content from the web using Net::HTTP and the URI library
- build Rake tasks
- manage files
You’ll be amazed how much can be accomplished using only the standard Ruby libraries! Each library will be taught with simple examples and exercises that you can adapt for your own programming problems.
What You’ll Learn
- How to use Minitest for testing in Ruby.
- How to to manipulate CSV and YAML data.
- Learn about Ruby’s JSON library and experiment with parsing and generating JSON structures.
- How structs can assist in quickly prototyping a dataset.
- How to use behaviour-related libraries such as SimpleDelegator and Forwardable.
- How to use the Digest module, FileUtils, Rake, and more.
About the Instructor