Envato Tuts+ Courses
- Video courses taught by expert instructors.
- Learn new skills from start to finish.
- Downloadable Source Files also available on GitHub.
Android is the world’s most-installed mobile OS, running devices as different as phones, tablets, watches and TVs. By developing for Android, you can create apps for all these devices. But before you start coding Android apps, you’ll have to learn the Java programming language!
In this course, Envato Tuts+ instructor Sue Smith will help you master the basics of Java programming, with a focus on the Android platform. In this practical course, you will use object-oriented programming and the Android SDK to build a basic note-keeping app. Along the way, you’ll discover the fundamentals of the Java language and the essential features of Java coding for Android.
What You’ll Learn
- Java language basics, such as statements, operators, strings, and arrays.
- How to use Java’s conditional structures, for and while loops, and methods.
- The object-oriented programming model: classes, declarations, methods, and object instances.
- Use the Java Collections library to manipulate data.
- Implement a simple database, including the ability for a user to create new notes in your app.
- How to handle exceptions.
About the Instructor
Sue Smith is a technical writer (and sometimes developer) based in Glasgow, UK. She’s worked with the Mozilla Foundation and various online publications, and you can find out more on her website, GitHub, or Twitter.